You have probably heard about nanotechnology, but may have very little idea as to what it’s about and exactly how it relates to you. Nanotechnology makes life easier for all of us; it’s not merely the stuff of science fiction. Essentially, nanotechnology is the science of working with matter on an atomic scale.
The practical side of nanotechnology
As an example, Science Daily ran a feature story about scientists creating a method to use nanotechnology to reduce the amount of friction in car engines and machines. If this technology becomes widespread, it will help lengthen the lives of machines and engines and help them operate more effectively. According to the Science Daily story, a team of scientists created tiny polymer particles that were dispersed in automobile engine base oils. When tested under conditions that simulated those found in car engines, these tiny particles were found to have a unprecedented ability to reduce friction.
More efficient motors
There are friction-reducing additives used by many industries today, however when these tiny polymer particles were released at a low concentration they were able to reduce friction by 55 percent more than common additives currently can. As the field of nanotechnology continues to grow we can expect more breakthroughs like this.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
If you feel, then, that nanotechnology is only good for Hollywood special effects blockbusters; just take a close look at your car’s engine. One day, nanotechnology could leave you with an engine that uses less gas. That, obviously, can leave you with a fatter wallet, and you’ll be able to thank nanotechnology for this.
Learn about VoIP for Your Business – Beyond IT Support
About Beyond IT Support
Beyond IT Support is an industry leader in providing Technology Management to small businesses. Over the past 10 years we have helped small businesses with everything from computer repair and network implementation to purchasing new equipment. As technology has evolved so have our services.
- 09/05/2013 The PC isn’t dead yet
- 08/24/2013 Don’t expect much from Windows 8.1
- 08/21/2013 Is Office Mobile a good buy?
- 08/21/2013 Taking an e-mail break
- 08/09/2013 Digg Reader an effective replacement for Google Reader
- 08/05/2013 Should your meetings be low-tech?
- 08/01/2013 The Duracell Powermat: Taking the hassle out of charging
- 07/29/2013 The new science of smartphone protection
- 07/17/2013 The debate over employee-monitoring heats up
- 07/14/2013 No customers calling? Maybe your business website stinks